Friday, January 2, 2015

Made with Love: DIY Memory Game




Hello everyone!

So, all of the gifts have now been unwrapped.  Sad.  (There is nothing more fun than wrapping a gift and waiting for someone to open it, is there?) :)

The good news is that I'm about to re-live Christmas with you guys.  I wanted to write about a few of the gifts I made for the super fun people we love.  Hopefully, you'll get a few ideas for fun things you can make throughout the year!


----------------------------------------------------------



This first project was for one of my game-loving nephews.  He may not play by the rules, but it's almost more fun for me to see what he invents than it is to just play the game.  :)


Don't you want to play a game with this kiddo??


I was scanning Etsy for fun things when I came across this idea for a Montessori matching/memory game using wooden pieces:



Since I had spent a good amount of time in the wooden crafts aisle in Hobby Lobby, I knew I could find the "wooden nickels" to make a set of my own.  I also wanted the matches to be a little more personalized to my nephew.  

Here is what you'll need to make a set of your own:

-Wooden nickels, like these from Hobby Lobby (Remember your 40% off coupon!)

-Acrylic paint and brushes
-Clear coat acrylic spray or Mod Podge to seal your artwork





First, draw your designs!  Be creative, and remember, you need an identical pair for each of your designs. (Of course, they can be as similar as you want.  The more similar they are, the harder the game is. )
*Note: Rather than drawing, you could also use stamps, stickers, pieces of paper glued to the wood... there are no rules!  Just have fun. :)




Now, paint!  Have fun!





Once your pieces are dry, use an acrylic spray to seal them on the painted side.  So that they don't stick together, make sure you give them plenty of time to dry before you stack them. 



Note: I left the backs of the pieces plain, but you could decorate the backs too.  The only thing to remember is that they all need to be the same.  :)

Ok, that's it!  Now you can wrap them up, write out the rules and share with the awesome game-loving kid in your life!







HAPPY  NEW YEAR!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment