Friday, September 12, 2014

Just for fun: DIY Infinity Scarf


Hello again!

So, this week I turned a year older. I'm stepping into my last twenty-something year, which seems simultaneously exciting and frightening; but what better way to celebrate your birthday than by making a little something special for yourself? :)

I've been wanting to use the leftover jersey knit from the DIY headband post, so this seemed like a great, quick project. All together, it took about 30 minutes.  
Yes, it's that easy. :)

-------------------------------------------

What you'll need: 

-Jersey knit (I love jersey for it's stretch, but if you want to use a non-stretch fabric, you can! Just check your length to be sure you can wrap it twice around your neck comfortably!)
-Sharp scissors
-Coordinating thread
-Sewing machine
-Iron (optional)

-------------------------------------------

Ok, let's get started!

1.) I used a favorite infinity scarf as a template to cut out my fabric.  You'll notice that this scarf is two-sided.  Both sides of the scarf will be visible when you wear it.  One side will be more prominent, but you want to make sure you're not just looking at the wrong side of a fabric.





You know me, I'd rather eyeball it and start cutting, rather than measuring it out.... 
But just for fun, the measurements for this scarf were roughly 60"x10."  (+ seam allowance) 

I didn't have enough of the printed jersey material for two layers.  So, I used some other leftover gray jersey knit fabric for the back.

From the printed jersey and the plain gray jersey, I cut out a strip of fabric measuring ~ 60"x10."






2.)  Once your pieces are cut, place right sides together and pin them in place.




3.) Sew along the edges of your long sides, leaving both of the short sides open. 


*Note: I used a short zigzag stitch; it seems to be a better stitch for my machine with stretchy material.



4.) Cut any excess fabric outside of your seam then turn the tube inside out.








5.)  I gave my scarf a quick ironing here to set the folds of the fabric where I wanted them.



6.) Now it's time to close the loop of your scarf and officially make it an infinity scarf! (There are several ways to do this, but I chose the quickest/easiest.) :)

Since this pattern has a stripe, I pinned them (right sides together), with the stripes lining up.  This way when you open it up, it will be more difficult to see where your seam is.








Sew raw ends together, again with a short zigzag stitch.




Well, the stripes mostly match up. ;)


7.)  Because this is jersey knit, you don't need to finish the raw edges; they won't unravel like other fabrics.  Again, trim the fabric closely to your seam.





Now turn it right-side-out, put it on, and walk out the door!  You're done!  




Easy, right?  This is a great Christmas gift idea for the scarf lovers in your life too!  It's also a great way to use up extra fabric... you could make a patchwork infinity scarf if you have several pieces of knit fabric/old t-shirts.  Have fun!

Thanks for reading, and have a lovely weekend!






No comments:

Post a Comment