Thursday, September 25, 2014

Fun Fall Leaf and Garland



Welcome to my FAVORITE time of year!  This week we celebrated my unofficial holiday, Pumpkin Day. 
(aka The first day of Fall)



If you missed it, don't worry, The Weather Channel and Google disagreed as to what day it even happened.  


But whatever day you celebrated, the point is, it is finally FALL!  Go get your pumpkins, people!


To get in the seasonal mood, I made a couple of quick, easy and inexpensive decorations to spruce up my Fall tub of stuff.




So, first, time to liven up that front door with a Fall wreath. :)

I made use of the Fall sales at Hobby Lobby and bought a plain wreath (on sale for $4), and some "blackbeard wheat" (also on sale.)  I also used some feathers I found ($1.99) and some scrap fabric I had at home for the ribbon.




I was going for a mix of these wreaths I found online:

*Note: I wanted light, beautiful wheat stalks like these, but sometimes you have to go with the sale!  But if you're looking for them, they are in the floral section at Hobby Lobby. :)


First, know that this will make a mess... so plan your crafting location appropriately. ;)

I cut the wheat stalks and just started sticking them in the wreath.  If any of the stalks come through the back of the wreath, you can trim them later.  If you want to use hot glue here, you can, but I don't think these are going anywhere. :)





After you have enough wheat on each side of the wreath, gather up the leftover stalks.



I used a twist tie to secure the stalks and fanned them out to have a bow-like shape.




Make a bow out of ribbon or fabric.



Use hot glue to attach the ribbon to the stalks.




I used twine to cover the twist tie... because I pretty much use twine on everything. :)  
Hot glue as needed.




Use your hot glue again to attach the stalk/ribbon to the wreath.  Work your way around the stalk "bow" to make sure everything is well secured.


This is when I added my feathers.... because I also have a problem with feathers, and any other bird-related things. (Why fight it? Isn't everything better with a bird on it?) ;)




I used more fabric to make a loop on top of the wreath to attach it to the wreath hanger on the front door.  This is optional, of course!


Trim up any stalks sticking out from the back of the wreath.



Done!  




Hang it up, and enjoy. :)



--------------------------------------------------------


Now, for the indoors.  

I made a quick and fun leaf garland to hang on the mantle, because... why not? :)

I just used extra cardstock/scrapbook paper I had, but you could use fabric, newspaper, or whatever you have handy!  The only other supplies you need are scissors and a needle and thread!






You can use a pen, butter knife or any other thin, blunt tool to make the creases.  It helps to make them over something soft... like a couch cushion. :)





Done!  Go celebrate the season and have a wonderful weekend!




No comments:

Post a Comment