Thursday, March 6, 2014

Here we go!

Welcome to this experiment, everyone!
(Or, more likely, welcome to the two of you, as I imagine it.) :)

Well, I thought if we were going to take this adventure together, we should set the stage first!

You want to craft?  Of course you do!  Are you feeling fully confident, excited and prepared?  Maybe not.  But that's okay!  Let's start with the crafting corner.

I think we should all start with a cozy, well-lit space (of any size!) to make fun things.  I know everyone doesn't have a spare room that can be dedicated to crafts, so get creative with storage and organization, so that you can get to what you need wherever you set up.
These awesome rolling carts at IKEA are a great idea for a mobile craft-station!

Here is my little corner:
(PS- Can anyone say "little corner" without singing about this little corner ?)
Unfortunately, it is usually that messy.  Who am I kidding, this is actually pretty good.  
(You should see the closet I took over..... yikes) :

Anyways, notice that there is nothing hi-tech on that table.  Old school Singer sewing machine, glue gun and ribbons/fabric/buttons/felt/thread/scissors galore.  I also have another lamp that I bring over when I need more light for detailed things.  I can't stress enough, how much you need good lighting and back support!  I'm counting down the days to bifocal glasses, but maybe you can be spared! :)

The only other thing I recommend is:

A place somewhere nearby to take a nap.

Seriously, if you're like me, there will come a time during your project when you will want to set it on fire.  I have at least one or two episodes per project.  You know, when nothing is going right, everything looks weird, your sewing machine keeps locking up, you sewed something inside out, you misspelled a word, or glued the wrong things together.  It's NORMAL!  At least, I hope so.  :)
You need to be able to tell yourself to take a break!  Walk away!  My husband has had to take me away from projects on more than one occasion.  Go for a walk, close your eyes, make some tea, even fold laundry (desperate times call for desperate measures).... whatever it takes to give yourself a new perspective!.... And put the matches away.

It also helps to put a picture of a good looking person in your line of sight when you're debating whether or not to put your work in the trash.  :)


Okay?  So, are we good?  Are we ready?.... I'm not sure I am, but I guess I'm doing it anyways.
Let's have some fun!

Thanks for reading!.... stay tuned for some fun with felt!

6 comments:

  1. Yay!!!! I love this!! You are as hilarious in print as you are in person! I can't wait to see the next post! I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to the blogging world! If you're interested, there's a Blogging A-Z Challenge that starts in April. It will increase your traffic!!!
    http://www.a-to-zchallenge.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! Can't wait to do a project with you! :) I think I may even challenge myself to take the time to do one with you for myself!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will be a part of your experiment! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You guys are awesome!... And Elise, you know I want to do a "guest blog" with your felting mobile! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I am so excited Diana! You are a delight!

    ReplyDelete